20 May 2009

Emotional understandings

My husband shared a little Sasha story with me that I wanted to write down.
She was watching the movie Toy Story 2. There's a part where Woody has a bad dream that he loses his arm and is thrown away and is very sad. Well, Sasha watched this part of the movie with dismay, and started crying. My husband comforted her and asked her if she was crying because she was sad, and she said yes. She said said the movie made her sad. Fortunately the bad dream part of the movie ended, and he was able to show her that it was all just a bad dream, that Woody was okay. She seemed reassured by this.
She has been really well at reading emotions on people too. Her grandma was having a bad day, then to top it off, she spilled a glass of tea all over the floor. Sasha saw that her grandma was very frustrated and tried to make her feel better. "It's okay Grandma", Sasha said as she hugged her grandma's leg.

These little stories reminded me of an interesting article I read the other day. It was some study that researchers did on toddler social skills and emotional understanding. I found it hilarious that the researchers made the kids watch scenes from the tv show The Office.

2 comments:

SaRaH said...

That Sasha is so smart. It's wonderful to watch them develop empathy.
What I took from that article is that I should watch The Office with Nora.

Cindy said...

Thanks Sarah. That's what I got from the article too :P