18 July 2007

Playdate

Since I found out I was pregnant with Sasha, I frequented a message board online. The women on the message board were all pregnant with due dates in September 2006. We all had our babies, and continue to post to the message board. It is so helpful to get advice from other mothers who are going through the same baby phases at the same time.
One of the mother's on the board hosted a big midwest playdate and since it was near the house of one of Jon's friend's, we decided to go. Jon got to visit his friend, Sasha got to see other babies her age, and I got to finally meet some of the mothers that have been so helpful to me the past year and a half.
The drive itself was about four hours each way. My goal was to make the trip with as little disruption to Sasha's sleep schedule as possible, which meant keeping her on a night shift schedule. I think we accomplished that! Yay!
The babies were absolutely adorable, and I was not disappointed meeting the mother's I've only talked to online. All in all, I had a lot of fun.
Sasha was very high-strung. She cried every time a baby came near her. Actually, she cried a lot. Normally I wouldn't have thought anything of her anxious behavior, but none of the other babies were as anxious as Sasha was. As a matter of fact, they were all so easy going that I nearly jawdropped. Let me clarify a bit. Sasha acted the same way she always acts. I just thought it was a phase or normal baby behavior. It wasn't until I saw the other babies that I realized that her behavior is not normal. Now I start to worry if Sasha isn't a little too over-anxious. It wouldn't surprise me. Cassie and I have very anxious personalities as well. I was just HOPING that she would skip that trait from me and take her personality from her father. I can still hope I guess. I do think I'm starting to see pieces of her true personality and I suspect that she will probably be a little more anxious than most kids.
But like I said, Sasha and I did have fun. Sasha got to go on a swing for the first time. She loved that. She got to play with lots of nifty toys and got to see some babies. Even if she would only watch them from a distance she did seem to enjoy it immensely.
Cassie came along with me to the baby playdate. She was mostly bored as there were only babies and adults, not that kids her age would have made a difference. She sat in a chair and drew pictures. She was tired and took a nap. Poor kid, I know she didn't want to go. I'm glad she at least behaved herself.

No comments: