19 February 2008

Death in the family

On Sunday morning, my mom died. Actually, she was my step-mother but she was the woman that raised me since I was seven. Her loss is very sad for me and my family and it was painfully sudden and unexpected. Especially for Cassie, who lived with her grandparents for a few years while I went to college. My father is devastated and my brother is very upset also.
I wanted to rush up home right away, but the weather had been very bad. Earlier in the week, Cassie had wanted to go up and visit her grandparents for the three-day weekend. My mom declined. My mom would normally do anything to see Cassie but she was afraid that the weather would be bad on Sunday so she said maybe the next weekend.
My brother is with my father and is staying with him and helping him out, so they do not need me yet. They are having a difficult time with the final preparations. We think we can have a funeral on Saturday and do the final burial on Monday. My father wants me to return home on Thursday so that we can pick a dress for her. He is finding that task very difficult. Cassie says she knows exactly what dress should be chosen so she will probably help with that.
Just waiting to return home.

No comments: