14 February 2008

Strange mealtime manners


We had a very strange dinner.
I made a beef roast, with side dishes of black-eyed peas and rice pilaf, and some broccoli. We all sat at the table for a family dinner. I gave Sasha some rice and some other foods because I didn't think she would be interested in our beef or broccoli. I did put two small spears of broccoli on her high chair table just to familiarize her with broccoli, but I really didn't expect her to eat it.
As I was eating, I was surprised to see Sasha pick up the broccoli and inspect it closely. I don't know what was going through her mind, but she made the broccoli dance. She just started bouncing it on her tray as if it was dancing around and said "dan dan dan" which is how she says "dance dance dance". We all laughed and she was amused with herself. I went back to eating. About a minute later she shoved the broccoli in her mouth and ate it. I was very very surprised and said "Oh look! She's eating broccoli". She really seemed to like it. She ate both spears. I gave her a few more and she started eating those.
That's my girl!
But strangely, about a minute later, her head started bobbing forward. She put her head down on her tray and stayed like that for a little while. I realized she just instantly fell asleep. I was scared at first, worried that maybe she passed out or something. But nope, she just got tired and fell asleep right there at the dinner table.

No comments: