07 June 2008

Busy Day

Today was a crazy, hectic day, and I knew it would be.
Tomorrow, Cassie and I are driving out to Montana to join my husband and daughter as they visit his family. It will take us two days to drive out there. Gas prices are crazy lately, but they're still cheaper than airfare. My husband and the baby will be driving back home with us on the return trip, so it would be way too expensive to fly. I like a good road trip, but I hate the preparations.
Complicating matters is a work picnic, and Cassie's birthday party, both held today. And I work night shift, so I didn't get off work until the morning, so I had to operate on a short nap.

I dragged Cassie to my work picnic. It was a windy, sunny, hot day, with the promise of a good thunderstorm. Actually it was very windy. Cassie and I spent some time observing a mother and father bird fly about. The birds were collecting food for their baby birds in a nest in the rafters of the picnic gazebo. But the winds made it interesting. We stared amazed as one of the parent birds tried to fly against the wind. The bird was flapping it's wings and flying furiously, but it wasn't going anywhere. It looked like it was just flying in place, when finally the wind won and it threw the bird backwards. Cassie and I both gasped, and a co-worker speculated that the wind might have broken the bird's wings. I really hoped not! Fortunately I saw the birds return later with some food for their babies, so the bird was okay.
Anyways, after the work picnic, we had Cassie's birthday party. That deserves it's own post in itself, but it was fun. When the party was over at 8pm, I was exhausted. I had most of my stuff packed, but I had to finish packing for tomorrow's long road trip and I was tired.
I plan on hitting the road early in the morning. I hope to be driving by about 8 or 9AM so we'll have an early wake up.

No comments: