12 November 2008

Ouch

Okay, I warn you in advance, this post is a bit disgusting and graphic.

Really, skip it if you're squeamish.

Sasha, our picky little eater, doesn't really eat many fruits or vegetables. She loves her rice, her goldfish crackers, and can't live without her chocolate milk. There are some other foods she likes, but most are not fibrous or bulky foods.
So she's always had a little bit of a constipation problem. Usually her poo is like little bunny turds. Sometimes I wonder if her chronic constipation might be the cause of her umbilical hernia.
Anyways, she had the worst case of constipation that she's ever had in the two years of her little life this weekend. It was horrible. I was worried that I'd have to take her to the emergency room before she did herself some damage. I do hope the trauma of it hasn't scarred her. It was that bad. I was so afraid she'd rip herself open or do some physical damage to herself, and she was screaming for what seemed like an hour. She was trying to pass a poo the texture of sawdust, but it was so big! Too big for her little butt. I thought she was going to rip her butt right open, poor little thing.
Her dad had to intervene. It was unpleasant, to say the least. All the while, he comforted her as best he could to try to reduce the trauma of it.

Immediately after the incident, I went to the grocery store and bought her some prune juice, some prunes and raisins, some apple juice, and some children's yogurt drinks. She's been actually doing well with eating them. The next day, I purchased some children's chewable probiotic tablets. I'm hoping that those items, if she consumes them, will help her with her constipation issues. For now, I'm taking milk out of her diet. She's drinking the prune juice and apple juices.

Any other advice on constipation, please, I'm all ears. I prefer preventive maintenance rather than go through all that again.

She hasn't gone potty since then. I'm worried about her. It's been two days. She's been eating well though, with a good appetite. I won't stop worrying until she goes potty again.

No comments: