10 August 2007

Growling, biting, and clawing


From the title, I guess you'd think I was talking about a kitten. Despite the fact that I sometimes wonder if Sasha is a kitten, she is a human baby girl with some strange habits lately.
Growling
Ok she's been growling lot for the last few months. The way she runs around the house constantly growling really does remind me of an animal. Thank goodness she started babbling and trying to talk again a few weeks ago or I'd be very worried. But since I'm pretty sure it's probably just a phase, I think it's kind of cute. I suppose I might be accidentally encouraging it as it makes me laugh and sometimes I growl back at her. Sure it might be cute now but eventually she'll reach an age where it's no longer cute and I hope she stops before then.
Biting
A new kind of biting problem. It's gradually grown on us but it is not really a serious issue. She gives us occasional explorative bites once in a while and my goodness does she have some sharp teeth. There's this one fun thing she likes to do. I take my finger and wiggle it up and down across her lips and she makes a funny noise. She loves it. But sometimes she'll just bite my finger instead. Again, it seems more like she's curious and wondering what will happen.
I'll chalk this one up to teething for now. I do not remember what it feels like to have teeth force their way through jaw and gums but it doesn't sound pleasant. And plus it must be a novelty to suddenly have all these new teeth in her mouth so I'm sure she's just exploring and being curious, trying them out and seeing what they can do.
Clawing
Ok, now this one is really frustrating me.
Sasha has always had a habit of rubbing my arm or neck as she drifted off to sleep. I have a mole on my chest. For the past week, whenever she nurses or dozes off to sleep, she started scratching and picking at it. It is driving me nuts. I know this sounds gross but now it's always bleeding and sort of hanging there and I wish there was a way I could just remove it. Any ideas for how to remove a mole would be appreciated. But even if I did remove it, I doubt she'd ever let it heal. Sasha now knows it's there and looks for it. Now even when I'm holding her, she occasionally tries to move my shirt to scratch at it. She looks for it when she's trying to go to sleep. And if she can't get to it then she'll just start clawing and scratching at my chest.

EDITED 9/13/07- Do you know that apparently this is one of the most popular pages on my blog? People from all over the world are doing google searches for "baby growling", "baby demon" or something similar and coming to this page or my other post about my growling baby. Maybe you just did it too? So it heartens me to know that a lot of other mothers out there are sitting there at their computers thinking to themselves, "Gosh my baby is weird. Why is he/she growling?". Cheer up, mothers of growling babies! I guess it must be normal if there are so many of us :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post! We are also the proud parents of a beautiful six-month old growling baby girl and we're having a blast, but we just wanted to know we're not the only ones out there...

sydneysandy said...

my 4 month old gril has just started growling. she very vocal in general, and she does it mostly when shes eating, or wants her pacifier.