30 January 2008

Knitting lessons

Cassie's knitting lessons


Once upon a time, before there was Walmart, there was the local yarn store. Some still exist today, and they are wonderful places for a knitter or crocheter to go. They do a lot more than sell yarn. They offer lessons and are a great resource for help or advice with yarn projects. Not only that, but you can often find a congregation of crafty women who dispense advice not only on knitting but on life.
While looking for a pair of hard to find knitting needles, I found a classic local yarn shop. Cassie and I fell in love with the place. Sure they've got tons of gorgeous and inspiring yarns and patterns and supplies. They've also got tables and chairs for you to bring in your knitting work, sit down, and knit with the gals. The shop is normally just full of older ladies who sit and knit while they trade advice, patterns, and gossip.
The shop offered "Learn how to Knit" lessons. While I've knit since I was a kid, but I've had a hard time teaching Cassie. It's something I wanted her to know how to do so I decided to let her take some knitting lessons from the gals at the yarn store.
Best decision ever.
Cassie has been taking knitting lessons for about two weeks now. She thinks the little old ladies at the knit shop are really cool. I think she's learning a lot more than just knitting from those old gals. She especially loves to hear them gossip about other customers. She thinks it is so amusing to hear the old ladies make fun of people.
We had another knitting lesson today. I had to bring Sasha, and I couldn't just let her run amok in the yarn store so that was a challenge. Cassie gave me a big thank you for the lessons, but I'm so glad to see her enjoy them.

Speaking of Cassie, she's so over her ex-boyfriend. She's now got a crush on a new guy, and she actually gave this one her phone number. She missed a call from him yesterday because she forgot her phone was on silent; but she has been checking her cell phone every few minutes today to make sure she doesn't miss his next one. So cute!

No comments: