10 May 2007

Angle the spoon


I discovered a strange trick to feeding my baby girl. And it's so strange, because after I discovered it, I realized that I had long ago found the same to be true with my first daughter 12 years ago. If there wasn't such a long age gap between my girls, I might have actually remembered the trick and wouldn't have had to reinvent the wheel.
I had been having troubles feeding Sasha. When I offered a spoon full of food, she would clamp her mouth shut and shake her head back and forth. I figured she just wasn't taking to solids after that two week gap where we stopped feeding her everything but breastmilk. I was afraid she had forgotten how to eat.
Of course, she still loved to play with her spoon, and if I put some food on her spoon, I had a 10 percent chance of her feeding it to herself before she splattered it everywhere. That gave me the epiphany: she didn't like it when I offered her a spoonful of food straight on. I tried to offer her a spoon of food at an angle off to her right side and her mouth opened up like a baby birdy.
So if I offer her food head-on/straight-on, she will close her mouth as tight as Fort Knox. But a spoon offered at an angle to her right side makes her readily gobble her food down.
This is so strange. Now she eats great!

No comments: