03 May 2007

It's like christmas!


The Happy Baby website has a baby carrier loan program that I decided to try out. I am so glad I did! The way the program works is they mail you four types of baby carriers, which you can use and test out for 14 days, then you mail them back. There are so many different types of carriers out there, and you never know which type will agree with you until you try it out. But they are so costly to just outright buy them to try them out so I love the idea of the loan program.
I already have a baby bjorn and a snugli. The snugli carrier was terrible; it felt like I was hanging the baby around my neck on a necklace. All of the weight of the baby was pulling my neck down. The baby bjorn was much better but now that Sasha is getting bigger I'm starting to fatigue easier. The other problem I have with the bjorn is that I am short with short arms. I had always thought that I could run around the house and clean with Sasha in the baby carrier. Hard to explain but for example: if I want to do dishes while wearing Sasha, I can't reach the dishwater without her back hitting the sink. So I would really like to find something that distributes her weight more, that will allow me multiple carry methods (to do housework), and something that can grow with her.
I received a package today with four types of baby carriers and tested them out on a very willing Sasha. There was a ring sling, a mei tei, a pouch style carrier, and a moby wrap (long piece of fabric that you tie).
I just could not get the hang of the ring sling. It was too hard for me to adjust and Sasha seemed like she was just going to flop right out. So that was a no-go right away.
I tried the pouch carrier next, and although I think I have the wrong size (too small), it seemed okay. I could only use the hip carry but Sasha seemed to love it and Cassie remarked that Sasha seemed comfortable in it. But I could only use one hand while holding Sasha in the hip carry and the pouch was too small for me to try any other carry in it. Perhaps if I had the right size I could test it out properly.
I tried to figure out the mei tei and I lost my patience with it. It looks like it could carry Sasha on my back pretty easily, which would be neat if I could figure it out. It also looks like it folds up nice and small so it would fit in our diaper bag easily. I like that. Honestly, I need to retry it when I have more patience and maybe some better instructions.
Lastly, I tried the Moby wrap, and that worked so well! Sasha was so snug and comfortable. I tested out the nursing position, and she nursed herself to sleep right away. Our testing stopped for little bit while she slept. Moving about the house did not wake her. It looked like Sasha and I were both very comfortable with it. When she woke we tried some other moby wrap positions. I took her for a walk to the local 7eleven and Sasha's weight was so well distributed that it didn't feel like I was carrying any additional weight. I could easily carry Sasha around all day with no fatigue if she wanted. I have not been able to try the back carry. The back carry with this carrier type does require the assistance of someone else to get the baby tied in properly.
Anyways, I am very happy with the Moby wrap. I had such fun trying out the different carrier types. It felt like Christmas. Sasha seemed to enjoy also. She was very content in the pouch and moby wrap and she didn't mind the other carriers either. She's such a mellow baby.
I get to play with the carriers for 14 days. It should be fun.

1 comment:

greg said...

For what it's worth, we tried a few, but ended up loving the Bjorn. it's a pain in the butt (getting the straps adjusted), but it seened to be the best baby-fit. I loved carrying Dear Alex around in it - though we grew out of it in a matter of about three months, as the girl was ready to walk...