19 October 2007

And there she goes...

This morning, I figured Sasha could use a little change of scenery. She was very awake and active, so I took her down to the lobby of our apartment building and let her run amok. We have no yard for her to play in, no nearby park. Nothing but heavy traffic all around. So the lobby was all I had. It was fun! Sasha walked all around the lobby, investigated every painting, art piece, every furniture item, the carpeting, flooring, lights, mirrors, and all.
Then after about 30 min, I decided to let her walk back up to our apartment. I thought it would be too much for her, but she did it! She mostly stayed a step or two behind me and followed my lead, but she had a few bursts of energy where she sprinted past me.
She walked to the elevator, stood in the elevator as we went up. We got out of the elevator and started down the hallway. She got distracted by the laundry room along the way, so we detoured. She took about 15 laps around the laundry room, opened and closed every dryer, and was back off in the hallway. She walked the whole way from the laundry room to our apartment door. To my surprise, she did not try to walk into other apartments. She ignored the doors of apartments that were not ours. Once we got to our door, she walked up to it like she KNEW it was the right one.
I opened the front door of our apartment, and she walked in. And out. And in. And out. At least 7 or 8 times, she just kept walking in and out of the apartment. I could she was thinking, trying to reconcile the walk down the hallway with entering the familiar apartment, putting the two worlds together in her mind.

She now knows that beyond the front door, there is a world out there.

No comments: