21 March 2008

Big Sister


It's been over 11-12 years since I've had a toddler, so my memory is cloudy. But for some reason I seem to recall that Cassie would never want to hold my hand when I walked with her. She'd always run off and I was always chasing her around and yelling at her to get back to me. I'd tell her to hold my hand and she wouldn't. I'd grab her hand and she'd throw herself to the ground in a tantrum. I was always a frantic, exasperated young mother.

On the other hand, if I ask Sasha to take my hand, she will walk hand in hand with me with no problem or complaints at all. It doesn't matter how busy the environment is or where we are. She's great with it. And as you can see above, she is just fine holding her big sister's hand too.
Sasha LOVES elevators. She knows the routine. She walks up to the elevator and tries to push the call button. I usually lift her up so she can press it. Then she stands and waits patiently. She tries to guess which one will show up by standing in front of one expectantly. When the elevator arrives, she walks right on it. The little crack in front of the elevator used to give her pause but not anymore. She then patiently stands and waits for everyone else to get on, the doors to close, and the elevator to move. Once it stops, she positions herself in front of the door and tries to push the doors open. I usually tell her to "open the door" and let her think that she was the one opening the doors. Once it opens, she knows the correct path to walk to get herself all the way to our car. Sometimes the trip can be slow but we can be patient. She doesn't really run off very often on us, thankfully.
-----------
Cassie's last day of school was Thursday, and now she's on spring break for 10 days. She wanted to spend the whole time playing Warcraft, but that's not exactly a healthy use of her time off. It's sad for us that Grandma isn't with us anymore. If Grandma was here, she would have had plans for Cassie I'm certain.
Fortunately, Grandma Pat, Cassie's long time babysitter, wanted Cassie to visit so Cassie is going to do that. While she's up there visiting, Cassie can also visit my brother and my dad.

No comments: