09 March 2008

Growing Vocabulary

A day at work

Sasha's vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds and it is so fun to watch! It's also funny and educational to see her mimic us, especially when she copies nuances that we didn't realize she was paying attention to.
For example, when I walk into the bathroom, she'll follow me in and will sternly tell me "out! out! out!" while she points for me to leave. This is probably due to all the times I have to kick her out of the bathroom when she tries to shove q-tips in her ear or play in my makeup.
Tonight, she took her box of milk and squeezed it out the straw all over the living room carpet. She pointed at the spilled puddle of milk on the carpet, sternly scowled at it, pointed, and said BAD! Of course she had to try to help wipe it up with a paper towel.
There is no way I could possibly list all her new words. There are just so many of them. She can ask us for rice. She can say "all done" or "all gone". Her sign language (and mine too) is also growing. As situations come up, I look new words up in my sign language dictionary and teach them to her; she picks them up almost immediately. Today she learned the sign for PIZZA. She gleefully copied the sign and shoved more pizza in her mouth.

No comments: