01 October 2008

Driving Miss Sasha


We were at the Early childhood program at our school system again this week. I think we'll try to do it every week because it's so good for her. She gets lots of interaction with kids her age, and while I think that's great for her development, it fascinates me to just sit back and watch her. She's got some great interpersonal skills.
She has a special way of approaching other children. When she sees a child that she wants to play with, she slowly walks towards them. She stops short right in front of them and stands there while trying to make eye contact. Then she very very slowly steps forwards into the child's personal space. She keeps inching herself forward until she gets closer. She leans in to them and tries to get eye contact. If she gets it, she bursts out with a cheerful "HI!" and a wave. I wish I could get her process on video because it is really charming.
Somehow, her magic seems to work on even the most selfish of bullies. She brings out a protectiveness in other kids, especially in older girls. I've seen quite a few older girls (like 3-5 year olds) protectively mother-hen Sasha.
Sasha is great at sharing. If she is playing with a toy that she likes, I've seen her try to offer the great toy to other children that she likes.
I've never seen any child try to hit Sasha. Like I said, she somehow manages to charm even the bullies. I have seen a few kids snatch toys from her hand. When that happens, Sasha gets this bewildered look on her face, as if to say "Now why would you do that?". But she doesn't try to take it back. If another kid takes a toy away from her, she doesn't really care about the toy anymore. The child has her interest more than the toy and she'll watch that child for a while instead.
I love how nice Sasha is. She's just a sweet child. I hope that she stays as nice. I'm sure she'll go through her phases, but I just want to believe that this is her true personality.

During gym time, the toy cars are like the toy that all the kids want to play with at the early childhood program. Eventually Sasha did get a turn with the car (her favorite). She took my car keys and discovered that they fit perfectly in the car's "ignition". I found it amusing.
There is a little boy that Sasha gets along with very well. He is as sweet and charming as she is, and they share with each other. They took turns with a riding toy together. Sasha sat in the seat and the boy (1 month younger than Sasha) pushed her around the gym. Then after a little while, they swapped roles. I thought it was adorable and tried to get a pic, but they were too fast for my cell phone camera, hehe!

No comments: