15 October 2008

Pardon the dust...

I have been terrible at updating Sasha's baby book. I admit it.
However, I have been updating this blog religiously since Sasha was at least 6 months old and trying her first foods.
For at least a year now, I've been thinking about printing out this blog and binding it into a book somehow, as a keepsake of my daughter's first years. The longer I've thought about it, the more difficult the task became. Do you know how many blog entries I've made over the last few years? A LOT! And each day I put the project off, I made more blog entries and the task got bigger and bigger.
At first I pulled up all the entries at once (don't do it with a slow computer! link) and did a print preview. After my computer sat there for a while, it finally came out to about 700 pages. Ouch.
But this site layout isn't really formatted for printed medium. That sidebar off to the right takes up a lot of space once you scroll down past it. So I did try a few layout changes but that still didn't fix things for me.
The other problem is that Blogger only displays posts in reverse chronological order. Newest to oldest. That's no way to print a book. Why would I want to read the book backwards? Blogger says that the only way to change the order of posts is to change the dates. But for me, the dates tell just as much of the story as the words in the posts. Not an option.

I found a solution. It's called Blurb. It "slurps" your whole blog up and lets you turn it into a bound book. Reasonable prices. Does EXACTLY what I'm looking for.
I did download their software and "slurped" my blog. I spent a day playing around with their software, formatting each page. It has some neat features.
So that's what I'm doing. Soon I will have a bound, printed copy of this whole blog. At least all posts prior to this post here.

1 comment:

SaRaH said...

Thanks for finding this, Cindy!