19 February 2009

RANT: Fake food

My daughter Sasha is a chocolate milk addict. Forget trying to put her to bed without her nightly chocolate milk fix. Usually we buy a gallon of whole milk and put some chocolate syrup in it. But when we ran out the other day, we ran to the grocery and grabbed a whole gallon of chocolate milk.
Then the last three nights, Sasha has been night waking WAY more than usual. My poor husband has been very sleep deprived. She's been crabby and on average waking up hourly so that's what? 8-10 times a night? She usually does wake up during the night but not that much.

Then as I was getting her bedtime cup of chocolate milk last night, I caught a glimpse of something that bothered me. The gallon of chocolate milk said "chocolate drink" on it. Warning bells went off. "Drink" is the secret codeword that they put on fake stuff, aka Orange Drink instead of Orange juice. I didn't have time to grab the container and read as Sasha was screaming for me but I meant to look it up later.
So check this out. The stuff was Dean's Choco-riffic. It was placed in the dairy section right there with all the other gallons of milk. It even said "Homogenized, Pasteurized" on it like a gallon of milk does. But where is the milk in this ingredients list?
Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Whey, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Corn Syrup, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Corn Starch, Salt, Sodium Caseinate (a Milk Derivative), Carrageenan, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sugar, Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Lecithin, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Artificial Color.

So let me get this straight, instead of giving my daughter her nightly sleep-inducing glass of milk, for the past three nights I've been jacking her up on thickened, chocolate flavored high fructose corn syrup and water? I see partially hydrogenated soybean oil in there, along with some emulsifiers to make the oils play nice with the water (Lecithin). Thickeners to make the texture feel like milk: corn starch, carrageenan. Some artifical flavors and colors. Some preservatives. Oh and some mysterious stuff called Sodium Caseinate and whey powder. Is that supposed to be milk? Because last time I saw whey powder, I didn't think "OH MILK!".
It's not milk. When I buy chocolate milk, I expect it to contain the same milk as in the other gallons of milk, except with some chocolate flavoring. Sure some sugar can be added. But I didn't consider the milk part optional.
I feel really ripped off and cheated by this. Buyer beware. I am personally never buying Dean's products ever again.

And on the "fake food" front, I never fell for this one but it cracks me up in a sad way. They have these bottles of soy sauce all over the place at work. Ingredients: water, salt, carmel color, sugar, sodium benzoate (preservative), Monosodium Glutamate.. What the heck? It's colored salt water with msg and preservatives in it! Where's the soy sauce? Where are the fermented soybeans?
I get so tired of getting ripped off by fake foods. I feel really defensive because they're everywhere and it gets so hard to feed my family a legitimate meal.

No comments: