15 March 2007

First food- Bananas did not work



15March07 First Food- Bananas did not work

Either I did it wrong, or Sasha just isn't ready for solids yet. Sasha had her first bite of smooshed banana for her 6 month 'birthday'. I thought she'd be ready to eat by now. She had seemed so interested in foods when she watched us eat and seemed to have all the signs of readiness.

I took a very ripe banana and smushed it as best as I could but it still had tiny little chunks in it that I couldn't get to go away. I thinned it a little with breast milk. Then my husband tried to feed it to Sasha. She made the strangest expression, like "what on earth are you feeding me!" with nearly every bite. She seemed to have difficulty moving the food in her mouth and swallowing it. She kept choking on nearly every bite. We didn't give her spoonfuls, just tiny little amounts that barely coated the spoon. The choking was very scary!

Even up to an hour later, Sasha would randomly start choking. I think she had 'chipmunked' some of the banana smush in her mouth and then choked on it again later so I had to keep such a close eye on her.

I also gave her a sippy cup with some breast milk in it to drink with her banana and she did great with that. She's really good at drinking from cups. She kept demanding to drink but she didn't want much to do with the food.

I guess I didn't quite expect this. I thought she would gobble her food up with no trouble and I'm mildly disappointed.

No comments: