30 March 2007

New Toys!

Yesterday, we decided that Sasha needed some 'interactive' toys, rather than just 'passive' toys. I suppose I could explain what I mean. Most of Sasha's toys, up until this point, are objects that don't really do anything. You know, dolls, stuffed animals, etc. They're curious and up until now they worked well for teaching our little dear how to reach for and grasp objects. But lately, Sasha's favorite toys haven't been toys at all. Like the remote control for the tv, our computer keyboards, cell phones. Stuff with BUTTONS! Stuff that does stuff. Cause and effect and all that good stuff.
So we took our little cutie to the local Babies R Us store to let her pick out some toys that would catch her interest. We tested lots of different toys out and got whatever she seemed to show interest in. Here's what she got:
A Fisher Price Laugh N Learn: Home Phone
Some Leapfrog Learn N Grove Maracas
some weird looking Baby Einstein Kaleidoskope
and a baby tap-a-tune piano
So yeah, all noisy toys. I don't mind really. Sasha seems to like them all and anything that makes her happy makes me happy (unless it's a bottle of bleach or something like that).
My husband had received some recommendations on Baby Einstein videos and got two of them. I really had my mind set against having my baby watch television, but I had already gotten two Baby Signing Time videos for her. I figured why not? Well, I guess Baby Einstein videos are like crack for babies. At least the few minutes I saw of the Baby Bach video before I left for work. It reminded me a lot of the iTunes visualizer that Sasha loves, except with real images.
Speaking of videos, I hadn't played the Baby Signing Time video for her in a few weeks, and really she's only seen it twice. I didn't expect a 6 month old to really get much out of a video, especially a sign language video. But I decided to play it for her today and I was impressed, mostly with my Sasha. When words that she was familiar with came up on the video, she went nuts! Especially words like Milk, Water, and All Done. She really seemed to recognize those words. When Milk was said and signed (which I do a lot for her when it's time to eat) she got very vocal and animated. I think she even expected to be fed.
Anyways, I hope she had a good day. I enjoyed the time I spent with her.

No comments: