10 March 2007

Sick Baby and one long day

Yesterday was quite eventful, to say the least. I came home from work at 6am and noticed my darling 6-month old daughter Sasha was warm. My dear husband had been telling me all night that she was especially crabby, and wouldn't sleep, therefore I had a tired crabby baby and husband on my hands. As I snuggled up to Sasha, I realized she seemed especially warm...warmer than usual. I took her axial temperature and it was elevated, about 100F degrees. DH and I discussed whether to take her to the doctor or not. I was supposed to have a training class/meeting at work from noon until 4pm, plus I had to work at night. We decided that we didn't think the 100F temperature warranted a doctor visit quite yet. Instead we would observe her.
I nursed her to sleep and we took our nap. I woke up about 2 hours later and Sasha was burning up. I took her temperature and it had elevated to 101.1F. She seemed to be quite unhappy so I decided to call her doctor's office. They asked me if I had given her baby tylenol yet. Frankly, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind. It's been so long since I've taken care of a sick baby.. At least 12 years. Sasha hadn't been sick ever so I just wasn't thinking. But now that they brought up the idea of tylenol, it sounded good to me, except when was I going to find the time to go to the drugstore to buy some? They said they would be able to see Sasha at 10:45am so we agreed to an appointment with the doctor at that time. That gave us 1.5 hours to snuggle.
I took my poor sick baby to the doctor's office and the moment Sasha saw the nurse she started wailing and screaming. She's had a lot of stranger anxiety lately. I thought she was too young for it but I guess she thought otherwise. The same thing happened with her 5 month doctor visit. She cried at the sight of the nurse and doctor at that too. So again, this visit was conducted over the cries and wails of an upset baby Sasha.
The doctor checked her out and concluded it was just the flu, and why don't I give her some baby tylenol?
I considered stopping at the drug store to buy some baby tylenol on the way home, but the thought of taking Sasha into and out of her car seat one more time just didn't sound like a good idea. Instead I went home, nursed Sasha, and had barely enough time to get myself ready and out the door for my work meeting.
The class let me out at 2pm instead of 4pm, so I was able to get the baby's medicine on the way home from work.
I got about 5 more hours of sleep in before I had to report to work that night. DH noted that he wasn't feeling well and started showing signs of getting the flu as well. Cassie was the first one to get it and I was just recovered with my round of it. Oh well, looks like more fun in store for us in the near future as baby and dh fight it.

No comments: