27 June 2007

Look who's crawling

I think we can officially call it crawling now. Yesterday, she started getting into stuff!
Previous to yesterday, she could sort of army crawl or squirm her way to something. Locomotion by sheer force of will is what I would have called it. If she didn't get distracted, it would take her half of forever to get to anything more than an equivalent of two of my steps away if she REALLY REALLY wanted to get there. So even though she technically could move about, if I set her down on the floor, odds were 5 min later she'd still be in pretty close to the same spot. I think that's the determining factor of crawling...if the baby stays mostly where you put them, I really don't consider that crawling.
Now, she is getting better at scooting herself to wherever she wants to go. She isn't exactly up on her knees when she moves. It looks more like she's dragging a leg, with one leg up on its knee and the other laying on the ground. She occasionally gets herself up on hands and knees but doesn't crawl like that. Other times, she gets herself up on hands and toes, with her butt high up in the air like she's doing the downward-facing-dog yoga position.
So yesterday, she was actually moving about the apartment. I didn't get the memo that she would become mobile that day, so it took me a bit to realize why I was getting frustrated at her. I set her down next to my computer chair and tried to look at some stuff online. Next thing I knew she was at the computer, fascinated by the blinking lights on the case and trying to hit the power button. Oops. So I picked her up and set her back down next to my chair. She was suddenly under my computer desk trying to play with the power cords. Back to the original spot and she started going for power cords behind the living room lamp. She seemed to be everywhere. I realized that for the first time, I can't depend on her staying where I put her anymore!
This changes things. At least once I realized that I now have to actually follow her around and keep her out of things, I was a little less frustrated. Happy that she made a new accomplishment, but sad at the same time. Things will never be the same again.
I'm sure this is something great and wonderful for her too. She seems to find it curious that Mom & Dad are now yelling "No!" at her.

No comments: