01 June 2007

An extra long weekend

A classic favorite picture: Mom and Newborn Sasha in the hospital.

I decided to use my Memorial Day holiday to take a 3 day weekend. I made that decision when I woke up Tuesday afternoon. Sasha gave me a look like "don't leave me tonight Mommy", and I realized all I wanted to do was spend another night with her. I'm glad I did. She has been really into her Mommy lately. She is so happy in my arms and when I am with her. She and I had been having such fun during my weekend and I didn't want it to end.
So our weekend routine was fun. Each day, we went out somewhere for the afternoon...(a bookstore, IHOP, or a japanese supermarket). Sasha takes a nap at 10:30pm every night like clockwork. (Remember, we're night shifters so our "day" begins at night). After about an hour or two, she wakes up and I would play with her for an hour. I liked to take her down to the lobby of the apartment building and let her explore all the art work and furniture. The change of scenery did her good and brought out the curiosity in her. I would hold her little hands and let her walk around to whatever caught her fancy. She would bang on the floor to ceiling mirror as she giggled at her reflection. She would touch the texture of the fur 'artwork' on the walls, and the tiles on the walls by the elevator. She had such a blast exploring! Then I let her explore the laundry room. She loved to look inside the washers and dryers, and to open and close the dryer doors, and bang on them. I enjoyed watching her have such fun.
After a good hour of exploring, we'd come back to our apartment for her solids meal. I'd dish out a handful of cheerios and crackers. She'd nibble on those. Then when she was done playing with feeding herself, I'd feed her the squishy baby food. She'd play with the bowls, spoons, and cups. When she was done eating another hour was done.
Of course she'd be messy so we'd do a bath. She easily spent another hour playing in the bath tub, splashing and playing with the water and her tub toys.
Another nap, a little more play with Mom & Dad, and next thing I knew, the night was over. She was exhausted and ready for bed. On Wednesday morning, Sasha fell asleep nursing, and I held on to her for two hours, not daring to let her go. She slept in my arms as my husband and I watched an old movie on tv. I kept sneaking peeks at her beautiful sleeping face and I nearly wept at her beautiful little face and at how much I love her. I cherished holding her there and didn't want to let her go or put her down. I just wanted to enjoy every moment of holding that little baby girl in my arms.
She grows so fast. I sometimes wish she would slow it down. But I don't dare hold her back.

No comments: