23 June 2007

New Toys

Sasha has some new toys I should probably talk about! She's been having much fun with them lately.


At Meijer's about two weeks back, we roamed the whole store from beginning to end. Sasha and I had a blast with it but I think we wore her Dad down. Anyways, I was thinking of getting a toy that would help Sasha work on her emerging simple mechanical skills and got her a Fisher Price pop-up toy called the Bobble & Giggle Pals. I also found Cabbage Patch Newborn dolls! I had been looking for a Cabbage Patch Newborn doll, specifically a bald baby girl with no teeth (the cabbage patch dolls with teeth creep me out). They didn't have any bald girls, but they had one with a little brown tuft at the top of her head with blue eyes. Since I haven't found a bald one in the 10+ months I've been looking, I got it for Sasha anyways despite the hair tuft. It does mean a lot to me, as I got Cassie a little bald newborn cabbage patch doll when she was a baby too. (Cassie only recently learned that the cabbage patch doll she grew up and loved was a *gasp* boy! But I simply dressed it up in pink.)


The first time Sasha played with her pop-up toy, I think it was a bit too over-stimulating. It's sort of like a jack in the box...it has 4 little critters hidden in boxes, then when she turns or pulls the levers in the right way it will pop up and play music. The first time I showed it to her, she would cry every time the toy would pop up. It scared and startled her. It took several days and several attempts to play with it but she cautiously warmed up to it. Now curiosity has won her over and she's getting to be a pro at it. She's got most of the levers figured out.

Watching Sasha play with her Cabbage Patch doll warmed my heart. The doll came with a little toy baby bottle. When I introduced the doll to Sasha, I showed it to her and pretended like I was feeding the baby from the toy bottle, then I gave it to her. She mimicked me immediately. She holds the baby, puts the bottle in the dolls mouth or bangs it against her head and makes little fake sucking sounds like she's feeding the baby. She gets a big smile like she's so proud of herself. She does copy playing with it, and it's cute to see how she parents her little doll. Tonight, she was sitting in her green bouncy chair hugging it and watching a video. She kept looking back and forth, from the video to the doll, video to doll...exactly the same way Daddy watches tv when he's watching Sasha. Like she was checking on it to make sure it was ok :)



Yesterday I got Sasha a 100 piece wooden block set. Various shapes and sizes. She LOVES them. I put them in a box and set the box in front of her. She took a few blocks out and banged them together for about 10 minutes straight, smiling. Then she started taking them out of the box one by one. I showed her how to put them back in the box, which of course was NOT as interesting as taking them out. Next time she played with them she liked to try to just tip the box of blocks over. Dad took great interest in them (it's that engineering blood) and built stuff with it, and Sasha gleefully knocked them down for him. It's a good Daddy/Sasha toy and I hear blocks are good for their little growing minds.


No comments: