08 August 2008

"Light Broken"


We have a rectangular glass lamp in our bedroom (from Ikea, like the one pictured left). It has an on/off switch on the cord that Sasha loves to play with.

Today, Sasha accidentally knocked the lamp onto the floor. The glass shattered and the lamp was broken.
My husband and I were in the room with her, so our immediate reaction was to get her away from the broken glass shards ASAP. I ran over to her, snatched her up, and carried her away, while my husband began to immediately pick up the glass pieces. As I picked her up and carried her away, I think I said something along the lines of "Oh no! You broke the light! The light is broken."

It happened so fast that it seemed to really leave an impression on her. She clearly knew something had happened. "Light broken!" she kept chanting over and over. She had a strange look on her face like she was trying to comprehend.
I had carried and deposited her into the living room, so she tried to run back into the bedroom, but I prevented her from going back. "Light broken!" she kept chanting and she continued to try to get into the bedroom at all costs. She sounded confused and concerned.

After my husband had gathered the glass pieces into a pile, I let him know that Sasha was headed his way. He protested because the glass was still on the floor, but I explained that she really seemed to need to see the broken light. I probably picked her up so fast that she didn't have time to see what actually happened to the light. She was just so concerned and agitated that I figured maybe I should let her just see what a broken light looked like. (HEAVILY supervised of course)
She looked at the pile of broken light remnants and kept saying "Light Broken!". She pointed and observed carefully. She then turned around to the light switch in the room.

"Light Broken?" she asked and demanded I turn on the light switch.

My husband had to explain to her that no, all the lights in the house were not broken, just that one. She seemed relieved.

Finally comprehending the situation, she gave a final, carefully enunciated "Light broken" and was done with it.

No comments: