24 August 2008

Tutu

I read some instructions on Flickr about how to make a tutu. It sounded easy, and even though our upcoming birthday party for Sasha will be small and personal, I've been thinking about a special little birthday girl outfit for her. So I figured a mommy-made tutu with a big sister-made t-shirt would make a perfect, inexpensive but very special birthday outfit.

Today, Sasha and I hit our local fabric store. We perused fabrics. Sasha loved to touch and explore the colors and textures of all the different fabrics, but she especially loved the chiffons. As she sat in the seat of the shopping cart, she liked to grab the ends of the chiffon fabric reams and cover her face with them while repeating "chiffon! chiffon!". To my surprise, she grabbed some satin fabric and said clear as day "Get this one". (We didn't get that particular one, but I was impressed by the clarity of her words).
We left the store with some pink and purple chiffon fabric, some pink and purple nylon tulle fabric, and also a small amount of pink satin.

When we got home, I cut the chiffon fabric, and with the help of some elastic, I turned it into a very adorable fluffy tutu. Although I thought to myself superstitiously that it was probably not a good idea to let Sasha wear her birthday tutu, I couldn't help myself. After all, I had to make sure it fit and looked okay right?
I debated with myself whether to take a picture of it, but I figured I'd just wait until her birthday to start taking her picture with the tutu.

Well I should have taken that picture while I could have. She wore it for maybe an hour. I really should taken it off of her right after I tried it on her for size, but it looked so darned cute that I let her wear it.
Just my luck. She had an explosive diaper. I realized in horror that the back of her tutu was covered in poop. She has not had an explosive diaper like that in a long time. After our awesome potty-training experience the other day, I thought we were done with explosive diapers.
Sasha required an emergency bath. Her clothes needed some rinsing and hand washing. I got all the poo off her tutu that I could.
Unfortunately I wasn't completely done making the tutu. The ends of chiffon fabric are very stringy when cut, and I had not taken care of that problem yet. Once the fabric was washed, the fabric went nuts. Strings all over the place. It looks like a half-drowned poodle with a bad hair day.
I may have to abandon the chiffon tutu and go with a tulle fabric tutu instead. Which is okay, as I have tulle fabric also. It's just that I like the drape of the chiffon fabric better, if it wasn't for all the darned strings.
Oh well. Multiple lessons learned.

No comments: