30 August 2008

Pull ups and potty training

After our potty success last week, I decided to get some pull-ups to help put Sasha on the potty easier. I purchased a small package of size 2T-3T Huggies Cool Wave Pull-ups. These pull-ups are supposed to give the child a cool sensation when they wet.
We have never had a problem with diaper rash. Suddenly, Sasha has developed a horrible diaper rash. She is very obviously in discomfort. She keeps scratching herself and chanting "Diaper? Diaper?" at us to try to get us to take it off of her. The rash is very red and painful looking.
So we are discontinuing use of these pull-ups.
In an effort to try to heal her, we allowed her to go diaperless today. It was a small blessing in disguise. She actually told us every time she had to go potty today. She had no accidents! I have no idea how many times she went to the potty today. At least two poops and countless pees.
She knows the whole routine. She tells us potty, or she points at the light switch in the bathroom and says "Light on!". When we turn on the light, she sits on her potty and goes. Then she stands up, proudly admires her potty and announces what it was (poops or pee), then wipes. My husband or I empty her potty tray into the toilet. She waves at the toilet and says "bye bye potty!" then flushes the toilet.
She went about once an hour.
I'm really impressed. She is almost completely potty trained!
I'll have to try some normal pull-ups once she heals up. Something without that cooling sensation stuff. Even though she went a day without accidents, I'm not brave enough to do just underwear yet. She isn't even two so I do expect to have accidents and possibly slip backs.
But I'm really feeling good about how well she is doing. I want to see if she keeps it up for more than just today, but if she does, I think we can reasonably say she is potty trained!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark just woke up one day and decided he would NOT wear nappies anymore.

a) we had polished floorboards
b) i found somewhere in a local shop something that could only be described as padded undies.

he *really* didn't like pullups cause they were so bulky. so the little cotton undies with the soft padding was just enough to soak up most of his slips.

yes, i continually forget my blogger password.. so anon it is :p.

<3 amanda!

Cindy said...

I'll have to look for those. My main concern with those is the laundry. How much of a pain is that?
Glad to see you!