12 August 2008

Sneaky Chef

I read the Sneaky Chef book by Missy Chase Lapine. Good reading. Definitely got some ideas on how to feed my picky little toddler girl (and picky husband). The book had a list of foods that children will eat, and that list alone was worth the price of the whole book to me.
So I decided to give some of the recipes a try.
First I got a ton of fresh veggies:
I got 3 bunches of spinach, some sweet potatoes, a few heads of broccoli, a head of cauliflower, some carrots, some zucchini, and some frozen blueberries.
Each recipe called for steaming the vegetables, so I was a washing and steaming machine. Then came the pureeing. I pureed according to the recipes. I also saved the veggie water from steaming to use as vegetable broth, which turned out well.
ABOVE: Clockwise from top left: White puree, spinach broth (in blue pitcher), carrot broth (in white pitcher), purple puree, orange puree, and green puree in center.


ABOVE: From left to right, From left to right:
Orange purees: carrots and sweet potatoes
Green Purees: Spinach, peas, and broccoli
Purple Purees: Spinach and Blueberries
White Purees: Cauliflower and Zucchini


I tried a few recipes that used the purees.
The brownies didn't turn out so well. My husband didn't like them but Cassie did. Sasha, my picky toddler, wouldn't touch them. I didn't mind them. You sure couldn't taste blueberries or spinach in them! I think I'll skip the wheat germ next time as it gave it a strange consistancy.

The meatballs were a disaster. Nobody liked them. I made spaghetti with meatballs, and the meatballs were mushy. The wheat germ gave it a terrible texture.

The meatloaf, however, was a hit! Cassie and I both really liked it. My husband (who is as picky as my toddler) didn't hate it, which is saying a lot.

I would probably get more use out of the purees than the recipes. This is sort of like when I was making homemade baby food, and I'd occasionally throw a cube of kale baby food into my chicken noodle soups. I could see myself using the purees, but probably not sticking to the exact recipes in the book.

No comments: