22 August 2008

Potty!

Lately, Sasha has been interested in her potty. For the past few days, she has been 'helping' her baby doll go potty.
Today, she told me that her baby had to go potty. So we went into the bathroom. She put her doll on the potty seat and pretended it was going potty. After she was done with that, she told me "Sasha potty", indicating it was now her turn to try.
I helped her take off her diaper and she sat on her little potty chair, which is in the bathroom across from the "big" toilet. She grunted and pushed, which is normal even if she isn't really going potty. Sometimes she does pee, but more often than not she usually just pretends by grunting and making funny strained faces.
To my surprise, she grunted and grunted, and I finally heard a little plop! She pooped :)
She stood up and looked in her potty's tray. She was surprised to see something there. She pointed and squealed "Poops! Poops! Poops!". She admired her handiwork. She dutifully wiped herself with some toilet paper as I instructed her. She was very proud of herself as I emptied her potty tray into the toilet. She happily chanted "Bye bye Poops!" and waved goodbye to her poop as she flushed it and it swirled away.
Then she signed "more" and said "more poops!", then sat herself back down on her potty again. She wanted to try it again. Stubbornly, she grunted and grunted away, and finally success. She did it again!
We repeated the whole routine again. Cheer, wipe, cheer, empty tray, cheer, flush, wave goodbye, and cheer some more.
She was having such a grand time. She wanted to do it again. So she sat herself down for another round. She signed "more" and asked me "more poop please?". She persistently grunted and pushed for quite a while, and was finally rewarded with another poop! We repeated the routine again.
This went on at least 6 times! Where she got so much poop, I have no clue. Just when I finally thought she had to be empty, she did it again. She was having so much fun and was so excited.
We were glad that those 'poops' were diapers that we didn't have to change.
Finally, to her dismay, she could just not make any more poop, so we had her wash her hands (which she LOVES to do) and it was done.

I do believe this child might potty train herself. I am very optimistic about the whole potty training with her. I really don't think it will take much "training" on our part. She will probably gradually insist on going potty more and more until one day we'll realize we're done.
And as much fun as she had going potty today, I think she will gladly use her little potty in the future. I will be terribly surprised if she intentionally poops in her diaper during the daytime from now on, unless mommy and daddy miss her cues.

I do have some concerns about the potty training thing though. Sasha is a tall, skinny child. The smallest sized disposable pull-ups that I can find are sized 2t-3t. Way too big for her. I guess the diaper manufacturers don't think someone of her waist size should be potty training yet. I do wish that I could find some pull-ups that fit her so that she could actually pull her pants up and down at her will. That way she won't have to have mom and dad completely take off her pants and diaper to go potty.

Anyways, I'm not sure if we'll start potty training yet. I think for now we'll take a wait-and-see approach.
For now, we're celebrating her first 'intentional' poop. Although this previous post here (when she was 16 months old) probably counts as her first real poop.

No comments: