15 November 2007

2nd night

Update to our new sleep and routine. See previous post.

I took a personal day from work so I could try to cement our new sleep schedule with Sasha. I am amazed at how well she is taking so many changes at once. It's almost like she likes the new routine.
Our bedtime routine is now as follows. We have a family dinner and feed Sasha as best as we can. After dinner, Sasha plays for a little bit and then it is bath time. She takes a warm bath whether she needs it or not. She is dressed into her pajamas. We turn down all the lights in the house so it is dim, and Sasha listens to some music on itunes. She gets a nite-nite daddy dance with the itunes visualizer. That always makes her drowsy. I give her a final nursing for the night. Finally, she is ready to be tucked into her crib.
Tonight I put her in her crib, and she immediately cried. I turned out the lights, turned on some light music (Sarah McLachlan). I rubbed her temple lightly and whispered "Ni-nite" a few times. Then I turned and left the room, closing the door behind me.
I used a stop watch to time her. She stood up in her crib as soon as I walked out the door. I let her cry for one minute exactly and returned to the room. I had her lay back down again, rubbed her temples, and whispered "nite-nite" a few times, walked out, closed the door behind me. 45 seconds later, all was silent. A minute later, I reopened the door and I swear she was asleep!
So it took a total of 1min 45 seconds to get her to sleep.
She slept well for a few hours, but then the night waking started. It really made my husband anxious. He is really restraining himself as he just wants to run to her and pick her up whenever she cries. For the night wakings, we do the same as putting her to sleep. I check on her to make sure she is not hot, cold, hurt, or in any trouble or danger. Then I let her cry for a minute, check, console. Two minutes, check, console. Three minutes, check, console. Four minutes, check, console. She cried off and on during one of her night waking sessions for almost a half an hour. I know I feel bad! But she wasn't crying non-stop, just off and on.
Everything has been going so well otherwise. I figured we'd have some night waking, especially considering she's used to frequent night nursing. She's just in booby withdrawl. Each night is better than the night before.

No comments: