04 November 2007

Baby Legs

I made a try at knitting some baby leggings.
I made a test swatch with the needles and yarn that I was going to use to try to get gauge. Gauge is the number of stitches per inch, and also the number of rows in an inch. I determined that my lavender Pound-O-Yarn with size two double-point needles, I knitted approximately 8 stitches per inch in stockinette stitch.
Next, I had to measure my baby. At the highest, fattest top part of her thigh, I measured a circumference of 11 inches. So I determined that my fabric had to at least stretch to 11 inches, but I didn't think it would actually have to be an 11 inch circumference. I figured 8 or 9 inches would work due to the stretchiness of knitted 'fabric'. So I calculated that a 9 inch circumference would be about 72 stitches. That was a nice number as it would divide by three evenly, perfect for dividing my stitches up on three double-point needles so I could knit in the round. That gave me 24 stitches on each of my needles.

So, I cast on 72 stitches. As I was knitting my k1p1 ribbing, it looked too big. After about 10 rows, my ribbing rows measured an inch and I switched to stockinette stitch. Of course, the gauge decreased and it really started to look wide. I kept thinking to myself there's no way this is going to fit a baby leg. But I kept measuring Sasha's thigh circumference and depending on how squirmy she was, it came out to about 10 inches. The circumference of the legging at its widest point was 9 inches so it SHOULD be okay, it just looked huge.
After 14 rows of stockinette stitch, I decreased one stitches off each needle by knitting two stitches together at the beginning of the needle (decreased from 72 total stitches to 69 stitches). This gave me 23 stitches on each needle.
Every 6 rows, I did another decrease round. I did a total of 6 decrease rounds until eventually I was left with 54 stitches, or 18 stitches on each needle.
I then continued with 54 stitches for the rest of the work. I continued until the stockinette portion of the work measured 7 inches.
I switched back to k1p1 ribbing for 1 inch to finish the legging.
The legging turned out very shapely. Very nice looking. I tried it on Sasha and it could use some more length. I am thinking of ripping back the ribbing and adding some more length to it. Other than the length issue, it turned out perfect! Baby thighs are nice and chunky, so the shaping is nearly perfect.

EDIT: I did go back and rip the bottom ribbing, then added an extra 3 inches in length. I almost wish I had added more. The finished pair of leggings look great! They are shaped perfectly for my toddler's thighs. Next pair, I'll probably add an additional 3 inches in length maybe up at the top.
I'll add a picture of the completed project when I get a chance. So far Sasha has worn these leggings multiple times and they match one of her dresses perfectly.

No comments: