12 November 2007

Our new plan

It took a LOT of thought, but we finally decided to make a BUNCH of changes. We are going to switch Sasha to a day shift schedule, night wean, try the cry-it-out check and console method, and see if we can't FINALLY get her to sleep through the night.
It's a drastic change but it's necessary. So far, she's been a real trooper and taking it well but we're still only on our first night so we shall see.

I work night shift, and so Sasha and my husband have been night shifters with me as well. Lately, now that she's walking, it's not working out! She's so loud, and we're in an apartment complex with neighbors. When I come home at night from work to feed her I can hear her all the way down the complex hallway. We're going to upset our neighbors if we can't keep it quiet at night.
Add to that the fact that I work full time, and have to come home for her nursings twice a night. It's too much.
We've been doing the co-sleeping/nursing combination and she wakes up at least 10-20times a day to nurse. Therefore previous attempts to switch to day shift and have my husband sleep with her have been unsuccessful. She would keep waking up, and neither my husband nor Sasha could sleep at night without me. If we could get her to sleep through the night at NIGHT, then she and my husband could actually get out of the house and do stuff during the day when everything is actually open. Coffee shops! Book stores! Parks! Malls! Anything! They're so cooped up in this small apartment all night and they're both getting stir crazy...it's not even winter yet. Ever have to watch tv or stay up at night at home? Nothing but infomercials and there is nothing to do. My husband has been so incredibly bored and drained.
I read recently that frequent night nursings decrease a toddler's appetite for solids. I don't know if it's true but that's definitely the case for us. We've had little to no success getting Sasha to eat and it's been a huge source of guilt for us. She's not grown since her 9 month check up. No height change, and only a few ounces in weight. She's drastically dropped in percentiles. I'm hoping that night weaning her will help her take solids. If this does not work, then I'm in trouble.

I gave the Cry-it-out check and console method a try for a nap and it worked well, and it also worked well putting her to bed. She was OUT, completely asleep after 10 minutes only! She cries 1 min, I check and console. She cries two minutes, I check and console. She cries 3 minutes, I check and console, and she is out like a light. So far.

Wish us luck! So many changes at once but she's taking it well so far. I hope this works. It will drastically improve our quality of life if it does. Getting my husband and Sasha out of the apartment during the day will be a godsend.

No comments: