13 April 2007

Home-made baby food


Yesterday, Sasha tried the brown rice cereal I made. Jon is the one who fed it to her and I guess she did pretty well with it. Yay! It has a little more texture than the Gerber rice cereal so she was startled by the new texture at first. Basically, my rice cereal is brown rice that I stuck in a blender, ran through a sifter and turned into a powder. Then in order to prepare it, I had to cook it in boiling water for 10 minutes.
Sure, I could just use the Gerber rice cereal but I just don't want to do that. I'd prefer to know exactly what she's eating. Gerber has this new "organic, whole grain brown rice" cereal. I looked at the ingredients and it has flour in it. WTH? Why would they put flour in rice cereal?
I don't mean to come across as a baby food snob. I just think I can feed my baby better than some corporation. I have chosen to feed Sasha home-made baby food instead of commercially prepared baby food.
I'm not sure if I've posted that before. All the food that she's been eating has been prepared from real fruits and vegetables. I find it strangely enjoyable. I take a fruit or vegetable, steam it, puree it, freeze it in an ice cube tray. Then when it's frozen I take the cubes of frozen baby food, put them in a ziploc freezer bag, and keep the baby food cubes in the freezer until it's time to feed the baby. My freezer has lots of cute little colorful squares of mango, pear, sweet potato, avocado, and plums. I'm waiting until she's consumed most of those cubes before I make any more foods for her, as she seems to have at least a month supply sitting in our freezer right now. I have to say, the mango is VERY yummy. I've stolen a little of it for my own consumption and it is very very tasty. Lucky baby.

No comments: