26 March 2009

Fish in the tub

Slowly over time, Sasha became a water lover. Her baths were usually all about business. Wash up, play with a few toys, and she was done. She didn't like to get her face wet, nor her hair. Shampooing usually had to be done quick, and she usually threw a tantrum. Baths were tolerable, but a shower was completely unacceptable. She had a set of stackable cups, and usually played with those for a while, and maybe splashed a bit. If she splashed water in her face, she became upset and yelled for a washcloth.

But slowly the past few months, she's acclimated herself to water. I can't recall whether it was the shower first that she took to, or if it was laying down in the bath water. At first she'd timidly put her arms and legs in the shower stream (I use a removeable shower head so I can wash her hair and the tub easier). Every day, she got a little braver until one day she was able to stand herself completely under the stream of water, face and all.
She also started to lay herself down in the bath water, which was a complete no-no a few months ago. But she did it by herself, again slowly and a little more each day. Now she lays herself down in the water so that her ears are completely underwater. Then she enjoys the way the water makes everything sound funny. Every noise she hears underwater, she shouts at me, "WHAT WAS THAT NOISE?". Usually it's just dripping water, but sometimes I knock on the side of the tub to make a noise for her.
Now she is like a fish! She lays on her tummy and launches herself across the tub, chanting "I'm SWIMMING! I'm SWIMMING!". She can lay on her back with barely her nose and eyes sticking out of the water forever. She gets out of the tub when the water is cold.
I recently added some new fun to bathtime: bubble bath. Oh man, she loves those bubbles. She plays with bubbles with such glee, chanting "Oh I LOVE bubbles! I LOVE them so much! I'm so HAPPY!". She really says that and it cracks me up how she expresses herself.
I'm a bit torn on the bubbles. They make her so happy. But I get nervous about the chemicals in them. But that's for another post someday, as I've been working on avoiding some of the nasty chemicals in soaps and shampoos lately.
Anyways, that's my little fish!

No comments: