02 May 2008

Smells

Sasha's new fun "activity" is smelling things!
Or perhaps I should say my new fun activity with Sasha is showing her the smells of various things. I sort of think it's educational.
When I hand her something and tell her to smell it, she will. I had noticed that whenever she saw a flower, or if I mentioned the word flower, she would sniff and inhale deeply. So that gave me the idea to start teaching her about smells.

At the mall a week or two ago, we passed by the Yankee Candle Company store. She was a bit fussy but the moment I handed her a candle and told her to smell it, she smelled it and calmed down. She was very entertained as I handed her candles to smell. She loves running around sniffing the various scents. I made sure to tell her the name of each scent as she sniffed.
I bet she'd love a trip to Bath and Body Works.

We have several candles at home. She sometimes cries and fusses and points at them. She won't calm down until we hand her a candle and let her sniff it. Also, there have been several times where she has been upset for an unknown reason, and handing her a candle to sniff has calmed her down or distracted her from her upset.

Today she was a bit anxious and stir crazy from being indoors the last few days. So I took her in the kitchen and we went through our spice cabinet. She loved it. Her favorite spice seems to be thyme and she also liked nutmeg and cumin. I told her the name of each spice as she sniffed them, and she repeated each spice name back to me. She was sad when we were done.

No comments: